By Dan Atuhaire
We’ve listened to talented musicians. We’ve seen talented songwriters. And we’ve had Mowzey Radio, excellent at both, and so much more.
A crooner whose voice never let him down.
A writer who never suffered writer’s block. An artiste whose art was more than just singing.
This weekend, the music fraternity pays final respects to a departed music icon. Mowzey Radio, one half of the Goodlyfe singing duo will be laid to rest tomorrow.
Born Moses Ssekibogo Nakintije on January 25, 1983, in present-day Buikwe District, Radio studied from at Kibuye Public Primary School and Holy Cross SS, Wanyange (now Lake View, Wanyange) before joining Kira College Butiki for his A-level.
In 2004, he joined Makerere University for a bachelor’s degree in Community Psychology, graduating in 2008.
He cut his musical teeth as part of the Leone Island backup crew, in an increasingly crowded and competitive industry that saw him release two staggered songs in “Jennifer” (2004) and Sweet lady (2006).
Radio’s big break would come in 2008 when he, alongside Weasel (né Mayanja Douglas Seguya) launched Nakudata album in a partnership that eventually came to be fondly referred to as East Africa’s dynamic duo.
But it wasn’t until 2009 that the music industry would witness his talent in full flow.
The Radio-Weasel bond had only grown stronger, releasing Nyambura, an album I still consider one of my top ten Ugandan music albums of all time (the others being Born in Africa (Phily Lutaaya, 1987), Tukolagane (Maddox, 2000), Omutanda Gyali (Afrigo, 1994), Shida Za Dunia (Chameleone, 2005), Galenzi Mwe(Paul Kafeero, 2001), Go Mama (Bebe Cool, 2015), Misubbawa (Maurice Kirya, 2010), Bamugambe(Bebe Cool, 2009) and Carolina (Bobi Wine, 2009)).
Often with Weasel and seldom with a host of other artistes, Radio sang about many themes, with love and relationships being predictably predominant in a crossover afro-pop style that had your average downtown music fan share tastes with the wannabe corporate slayer.
Mowzey Radio was as diverse as they come.
From gospel-leaning songs like Mukama Nyongera Amaanyi, Tambula Nange and Omanyi Mukama to happy-go-lucky themed ones (I am so high, Play it again, Tell dem so); from songs stemming out of ego fights with other actors in the entertainment industry (Ability, Kamilla the teacher, Kiduula) to those aimed at their detractors (Obudde, Talk and talk, Ngenda Mumaaso), they sang them all.
In “Kamilla the teacher”, the duo tried to hit at Jose Chameleone, their erstwhile mentor-turned foe (before mending fences, again). The latter chose to see the lighter side of this, adopting “teacher” as one of the many titles that he still uses to-date.
It was a similar situation with Kiduula, a song that was composed after their crew had been banned from accessing Ange Noir in the aftermath of a raucous brawl at the discotheque.
If there was music that came close to revealing the softer side of Mowzey Radio, it’s the love ballads that often had many eating out of his palm. Mama, a song dedicated to his mum belongs to this category. Several times, he calls her by her full name and goes on to shower praises in a trademark mellow soliloquy that his fans had got accustomed to.
His talent remains unrivalled, as evidenced in his lyrics. Witty wordplay, soothing flow, and serenading performances will remain in many a music fan’s memory.
Radio’s talent was never restricted to the environs of Neverland, the duo’s Makindye home, often lending a helping hand to other artistes as Red Banton, Diamond Oscar, Gift of Kaddo can testify. He also wrote music for fellow artistes such as Irene Ntale (Bikoola, Sembera, Mazzi n’ekyenyanja), Juliana (Twalina Omukwano) and Ekitone, the song that reinvigorated Desire Luzinda’s then stagnating career in 2014.
Radio had an eye on the bigger picture. He was in the process of incubating Angel Music, a record label he envisaged to grow bigger and do much more than just singing, such as writing music and talent management among others.
Choosing Radio’s best-written song is a daunting task. But if one had a gun to my temple, my pick of his collection would be one of Let’s Connect (featuring Sizzaman), Dudu (featuring Shanks Gumaras), Ability and Nyumbani (featuring Viboyo).
For over five years, there was the talk of their impending split, fueled by a speculative and gossip-hungry media. The duo appeared to enjoy the mind games, often keeping them guessing. Thus they continued to release singles, usually interspersed with the odd collabo.
As he signed out at the tender age of 35, we can only fete to his excellent works and toast to a talent we may not see again in a long time. He last released an album in 2016, opting for singles that would be released as and when he was ready.
Mowzey Radio wrote over 229 songs in a 10-year career, averaging more than 22 songs a year.
Out of these, 68 had not been out yet, and are likely to be released posthumously.
Radio and Weasel: Album discography;
2009: Bread and Butter
2010: Ngenda Maaso
2011: Talk and Talk
2016: Owana Wabandi
Mowzey Radio: The Discography;
– Abatesi – Goodlyfe ft. Chance Nalubega
– Ability – Radio, Weasel, Rabadaba ft. Rabadaba
– Akalimu – Goodlyfe
– Akasiisi – GoodLyfe Crew
– Am In Love – Radio and Weasel Ft. Lillian
– Amaaso – Radio, Weasel Ft Pallaso, The Mess
– Amari – Radio, Weasel, and Sean Simple
– Amazima – Radio and Weasel ft. Blaq Fuego
– Batabani Ba Kintu – Radio and Weasel Ft Dr Jose Chameleon, Magic Washington and WJ
– Best I Know – Radio and Weasel ft. Jose Chameleone
– Beyonce and Jay Z – Radio and Weasel
– Bigambo – Radio ft Gravity Omutujju
– Bikoola – Radio and Weasel and Irene Ntale
– Bread and Butter – Goodlyfe Crew
– Breath Away – Radio and Weasel (GoodLyfe)
– Bring Me Back – Radio and Weasel (Goodlyfe)
– Bwebityo – Goodlyfe and Diamond Oscar
– Bwondekawo – Goodlyfe Crew
– Byagana – Radio and Weasel ft Ziza Bafana
– Can’t Let You Go – Radio and Weasel
– Kamilla, the teacher – Radio andWeasel
– Commando – Radio and Weasel ft. Navio, Myko Ouma
– Corruption – Radio and Weasel
– Crucify – Radio and Weasel
– Dagala – Radio (and Weasel,
– Ddembesa – Goodlyfe ft. Da Twinz
– Do You Know Me Before – Radio and Weasel
– Done – Radio and Weasel ft Locnville
– Don’t Cry – Radio and Weasel ft. Wizkid
– Dudu – Goodlyfe ft. Shanks Gumaras
– Dunda – Radio and Weasel
– Ekitone – Desire Luzinda (Written by Radio)
– Ekyama – Radio and Weasel (Goodlyfe)
– Engule – Radio and Weasel ft Juliana Kanyomozi
– Eriiso – Radio and weasel ft Unique
– Everthing I do – Radio and Weasel
– Faces – Radio and Weasel ft. Sam
– Fire and Butter – Radio and Weasel Ft. Beenie Man and M.I
– Fitting – Radio, Weasel and Desire Luzinda
– Five Star Girl – Goodlyfe Crew
– Forgotten – Radio and Weasel ft. SizzaMan
– Gat No Love – Radio, Weasel and Wizkid
– Gezagezamu – Radio and Weasel
– Gitawo – Radio and Weasel
– Golden Girl – Radio and weasel Ft Mighty son, Buki Solja and Mesiah
– Good Night – Radio and Weasel
– Gudi Gude – Radio and Weasle ft Kalifah AgaNaga
– Gutamiza – Radio and Weasel ft B2C
– Gyal Dem – Radio and Weasel Ft Buffalo Soljah
– Gyal Next Door – Radio and Weasel FT Toniks
– Hafusana – Radio and Weasel
– Hallo – Radio, Weasel ft Chameleone
– Heart Attack Vuvuzela – Radio and Weasel
– Hellena – Radio and Weasel ft. David Lutalo
– Home to Africa – Radio, Weasel ft PJ Powers
– How we do it – Radio ft. Keko
– I am so high – Radio, Weasel, Sizzaman, Red Banton andDiamond Oscar
– Jaburata Remix – Radio Weasel and KaySwitch
– Juicy – Radio and Weasel
– Julaina – Radio and Weasel and Vjoj
– Kama Katono – Radio and Weasel (Elly Wamala)
– Kankunganye – Radio and Weasel Ft Mun G
– Kapapula Kakusala – Radio and Weasel
– Kiboko – Goodlyfe ft Amani
– Kiduula – Radio and Weasel
– Kikumi Kinaana – Radio and Weasel ft. Red Banton
– Kintu – Radio and Weasel
– Kirimanyi – Radio and Weasel
– Kuku – Radio and Weasel
– Kyuma – Radio and Weasel ft Spice Diana
– Leero Tompona – Radio and Weasel ft. Leila Kayondo
– Leesu – Mowzey Radio
– Let Dem Know – Radio and Weasel
– Let’s Connect – Radio and Weasel ft. Sizzaman (Goodlyfe)
– Lets Go Home – Radio and Weasel
– Lola – Radio and Weasel
– Lunaku Lwa Mbaga – Radio and Weasel
– Lwaki Onumya – Radio and Weasel
– Magnetic – Goodlyfe
– Make Money – Radio and Weasel ft. Chameleone, Haruna Mubiru, Buchaman
– Mama – Radio and Weasel
– Maze Okukwetegereza – Radio and Weasel, Maro
– Mazzi n’ekyenyanja – Irene Ntale (Written by Radio)
– Mbulira Mukwano – Weasel and Sammy Cool
– Money – Radio and Weasel
– Mpanilira – Radio and Weasel, Deena
– Mr. DJ – Radio, Weasel ft. All Stars (Peter Miles, Navio, Rabadaba, Viboyo andOthers)
– Mr. Right – Radio, Weasel ft. GNL Zamba
– Mukama Nyongera Amaanyi – Mowzey Radio
– Multiply by 2 – Radio, Weasel and Angella Katatumba
– Mutima – Radio, Weasel ft. Serena Bata
– My Life (Remix) – Dogo Janja Ft Radio and Weasel
– Nah Normal – Radio and Weasel and A Pass
– Nakutamani – Goodlyfe
– Nanansi – Radio and Weasel
– Neera – Mowzeyy Radio
– Nfuula Zaabu – Radio and Weasel ft Pastor Bugembe
– Ngamba – Goodlyfe
– Ngenda Mumaaso – Radio and Weasel
– Nipe Kifunguo Yako – Radio and Weasel FT Wizkid and Washington
– Niwe Yahwe – Radio
– Nkwagala – Mowzey Radio
– Nkwegomba – Radio, Weasel ft. Cas Cas
– Nkwetaga – Radio and Weasel (Goodlyfe)
– Nkya Kujukila – Radio feat. Rocky Giant
– Ntunga – Radio and Weasel
– Ntwalako Out – Radio and Weasel
– Number emu – Radio and Weasel
– Nyambura – Radio and Weasel
– Nyumbani – Radio and Weasel
– Obudde – Radio and Weasel
– Ole – Radio and Weasel
– Omanyi Mukama – Goodlyfe
– Omukisa Mpeewo – Radio and Weasel
– Omwana Wabandi – Radio and Weasel
– One In A million – Radio and Weasel Ft Silver X
– Panadol – Radio and Weasel ft Chameleone
– Paradise – Radio and Weasel ft. Locomotives (Goodlyfe)
– Play It Again – Radio and Weasel ft Dj Pius
– Plenty Plenty – Radio and Weasel
– Pollination – Goodlyfe and Obsessions
– Potential – Radio, Weasel ft. General Ozzy
– Remember Me – Radio and Weasel
– Rewind – Radio And Weasel
– Romantic Call – Radio
– Sawa Ya Beer – Radio and Weasel
– Scratch My Back – Vanessa Mdee Ft. Radio and Weasel
– Searching – Kukulee ft Radio and Weasel
– Sembera – Radio ft Lyto Boss
– Sembera – Irene Ntale (Written by Radio)
– Simunino – Radio and Weasel
– Single and Searching – Radio and Weasel
– Sitani – Radio, Weasel
– Skin Tight (Remix) – Radio and Weasel, Pallaso and Mr Eazi
– Sky Walker – Radio and Weasel
– So Much – Chagga and Weasel
– Somesa Egwanga – Radio and Weasel
– Street Lights – Radio and Weasel (Goodlyfe Crew)
– Sumulula – Radio and Weasel ft Pallaso
– Tabula Edagala – Radio and Weasel
– Take my heart – Radio and Weasel
– Talk and Talk – Radio and Weasel
– Tambula Nange – Mowzey Radio
– Technique – Radio
– There She Go – Radio and Weasel ft DJ Madengo
– Tonjagala – Mowzey Radio and Weasel
– Tonoonya – Radio and Weasel, Desire Luzinda
– Twalina Omukwano – Juliana (Written by Radio)
– Twamukwekula – Radio and Weasel ft Emperor Orlando
– Wankwata – Radio and Weasel ft. Dizzo
– Wankyawa – Radio
– Where You Are – Blue 3 ft. Radio and Weasel
– You make me cry – Radio and Weasel ft. Diamond Oscar
– Zino Enaku – Radio, Weasel, Kuklee, Myco Chris
– Zuena – Radio and Weasel
– Lwaki Tokula – Radio and Weasel
Rest in peace, Soldier.
(NOTE: This article was written after his death. Since then, more of his music has been released by his team)