The 20 finalists that will contest for the 2014 Miss Uganda crown were presented to the public on Tuesday at Mackinon Suites in Nakasero, Kampala. This year’s contest, which is running under the theme; Promoting agricultural entrepreneurship among the youth, will have its grand finale on October 25, 2014 at Speke Resort and Country Club in Munyonyo, on the outskirts of Kampala.
Presenting sponsors for the pageant, of which Mirinda is among, to the public, Ms Brenda Nanyonjo of Kezzi Entertainment, the Miss Uganda franchise holder, said before the regional tours, which ended at the weekend, organisers sent out scouts across the country in search of young girls between 18 to 24 years of age to enlist and be part of the search for Uganda’s next beauty queen.
The girls were drawn from regional contests that took place in Mbale, Gulu, Mbarara, Masaka, and Kampala where there was the pre-selection contest.
On why the choice of the theme, Ms Nanyonjo said the pageant needed an idea that would change communities. And since agriculture is the back bone of our economy, they thought it wise to support it.
“Immediately after the Regional and Grand Miss Uganda Finale, the Regional Queens with support of Miss Uganda and Miss Uganda Foundation, will be given tools to run their best agricultural projects within their communities,” she added.
The reigning Miss Uganda is Stella Nantumbwe and this year’s winner will get a car and a monthly allowance for 12 months, just like she did.
Ms Berna Kizza, the Mirinda brand manager, said: “Mirinda has decided to be part of a competition that raises the profile of young women in Uganda and is a perfect fit for the brand that rides on the free your fun side thematic. We shall support the pageant with a sponsorship package of Shs30 million which will cater for publicity, refreshments, among others.”
Mirinda has for the past three years also sponsored the Mirinda Miss Teen project, whose third season ended in August with the crowning of Mt. St. Mary’s Namagunga’s Keza Namazzi as the 2014 Mirinda Miss Teen.
According to organisers, the finalists will participate in a three week boot-camp between October 4 and 25th at the On the Farm in Kapeeka and Serene Suites.
Other sponsors of the 2014 Miss Uganda are TV Africa, SMS One, and Namukekera Rural Industrial Centre (NRIC).
List of the 20 finalists;
1. Evelyn Mugisha, 23, a social worker from Kampala
2. Claudet Kesiime, 21, a student from Kampala
3. Flavia Constance Ibyara, 23, a social worker from Kaberamaido
4. Christine Tayebwa, 22, a student from Kabale
5. Saluma Letitia, 22, unemployed youth from Lira
6. Ritah Elizabeth Namubiru, 21, a student from Wakiso
7. Nurah Nantume, 22, a cashier, from Masaka
8. Shilla Karungi, 21, a student from Mbarara
9. Sharon Auma, 19, a student from Lira
10. Mabel Namala, 22, a health worker from Mpigi
11. Sharifah Sherry Nalulyo, 20, a student from Mpigi
12. Caroline Nantambi, 21, a student from Masaka
13. Sheena Kyozira, 22, a student from Jinja
14. Queen Victoria Owakiro, 20, a student from Wakiso
15. Brenda Iriama, 22, a social worker, from Nakapiripirit.
16. Christine Letio, 22, a youth facilitator from Gulu
17. Yasmin Taban, 19, a student from Kampala
18. Penelope Nankunda, 21, a student from Mbarara
19. Leah Kalanguka, 23, a student from Iganga
20. Flavia Aloyo, 24, a volunteer at Straight talk, from Gulu.