The annual fish festival organized by st kizito high school Namugongo went down again the school grounds.
The school known for its culture of recycling organized this event to showcase what the school is upto with the students in terms of skilling the Teens.
The day was filled with exhibitions in the following( TAASA OBUTONDE NOVEMBER DOCUMENTARY WHAT: St. Kizito Secondary School located in Namugongo is doing an array of things to save the environment including;
- Factory-scale Production of carbonized briquettes for institutional cooking. Making briquettes from organic waste saves trees/forests and improves municipal sanitation. They also showcased tooth paste made from charcoal briquettes. These briquettes are made from wastes
- Backyard and off-ground gardening; promoting smart-urban farming. Composting is done to produce organic soil nutrients that facilitate urban farming.
- They also showcased their Solar-powered irrigation that is done using water harvested from rain and water tapped from underground springs.
- Foodwaste recyling; This is of two types; a. Foodwaste is used to farm Black-Soldier-Flies whose larvae constitutes nutrients for animal feeds. b. a solar food-drier preserving food remains. The dried foodwaste is powdered and mixed with nutrients to make feeds for livestock/fish
- Non-organic waste is recycled into ornamental crafts and tools. A Fish Resort is one of the recreational gardens at school created through recycling of non-organic waste. This facilitates development of Eco-tourism. The fish pond shade is made from plastic bottles.
They also showcased the reusable sanitary towels made by the students.
During the event, hosted by mc ollo of nbs tv youth voice, the students showcased their talents in music, dance and drama.
- Advertisement -
The st kizito High school fish festival happens every year.
According to the Head Teacher; Mr Kazibwe Ezekiel, the festival is meant to empower and skill the students with life skills that can help them during their holidays to make some money.
The School Director; Dr Kakembo thanked all parents for trusting the school with their children and encouraged more parents to bring in more students to gain both knowledge and skills
St kizito high school Namugongo is located in Namugongo, after the Uganda matyrs shrine